Carrot and Lentil Soup: Toddler Recipe
Serves: 8 toddler portions Cook time: 20 mins Prep time: 5-10 mins
- 5 carrots (chopped)
- 150g red lentils
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1l low salt vegetable stock
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil (or olive oil)
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and add the onion once hot.
- Fry the onion until softening and then add in the chopped carrots.
- Add in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Place the lentils in a sieve and rinse under the tap.
- Once the soup is gently boiling, add the lentils.
- Turn down to a low to medium heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add in the tin of tomatoes and stir for 2 minutes.
- Blend using a hand blender or food processor. If you feel the soup is too thick at this point just add in a small amount of water.
- Serve with a dollop of natural yogurt on top and some wholemeal bread.
This tasty soup is rich in beta-carotene, a form of vitamin A which is important for healthy vision and to help the body use iron. It is also a source of vitamin C which supports the immune system.
Freeze the extra portions to have healthy lunches on hand. You can use this recipe as a base and alter depending on what veg you have in the house. Add in a handful of spinach to increase the nutritional value. Use a teaspoon of natural yoghurt to make funny shapes on top for fussy eaters.