Tasty Toddler's Fish Pie
Serves: 4 Toddlers Cook time: 50 mins Prep time: 5-10 mins
- 150g cod (fresh or frozen)
- 150g salmon (fresh or frozen)
- 400ml growing up milk (or toddler's usual milk)
- 4 potatoes (3 large or 4 medium)
- ½ leek (washed and chopped)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp parsley
- 25g margarine (or butter)
- 30g frozen peas
- Handul cheddar cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Peel the potatoes, chop and put them in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to the boil and simmer until tender. Once cooked, remove from heat, drain and mash with 50ml of the milk. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the fish to a saucepan, fill with water and poach for about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a bowl/jug mix together the 350ml of milk and the flour and stir until no lumps.
- In another saucepan melt the butter on a medium heat and add the leek. Leave to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and flour mixture to the leek. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously the whole time.
- Add in the parsley, turn down the heat and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- On a separate plate, flake the fish, removing the skin and any bones.
- Stir the fish and peas through the sauce and pour mixture into a small oven proof dish. Top with a thin layer of the mashed potato. Sprinkle with the cheese (optional).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Fish pie is a delicious and nutritious choice for your toddler. Oily fish such as salmon is rich in omega-3 for brain and eye development and vitamin D for healthy bones.
Add in some brocolli instead of peas or try haddock instead of cod for some variation.