Homemade Fruity Nutty Muesli
[Nutritionist tip text]
Cook time: 30-40 mins Prep time: 10 mins Serves: 6 portions
- 600g oats (rolled)
- 400g wheat or bran (rolled)
- 80g flaked almonds
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- 30g sunflower seeds
- 50g pecans
- 200g mixed dried fruit (try cranberries, raisins and chopped apricots)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C for fan oven).
- Add the rolled oats, wheat/bran, flaked almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds into a large non-stick baking tray and mix well.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Remove from heat and mix in the pecans and dried fruit.
- Allow to cool then serve with milk or topped with yogurt and fresh fruit.
- Store remaining mixture in air tight container.
This recipe is high in folate which is essential during the pre-conception period and the first 12 weeks of pregnancy. Nuts and seeds are rich in protein, fibre, essential vitamins, minerals and healthy fats.
This recipe is really easy to make and healthier than shop bought muesli. You can also mix and match different seeds and fruits to suit your preferences. Make up a large batch and store in an airtight container for easy breakfasts during the week.
Delicious breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes from our team of nutritionists