Tasty Tomato & Lentil Soup
Serves: 2 portions Cook time: 40 mins Prep time: 5 mins
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 400g chopped tomatoes (1 tin)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 50g red lentils (split)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 100ml water
- 1 tsp basil (dried or fresh)
- In a large saucepan, heat a little oil and add the onion and garlic. Saute gently on a medium heat until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, lentils and water. Cook on medium heat stirring occasionally until it comes to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the basil and stir through.
- Remove from heat and blend to desired consistency.
- Allow to cool to appropriate temperature for baby, test and serve.
This is a great way to introduce tomatoes to baby and lentils are a good source of protein. Add more vegetables to alter flavour and add extra nutrients. Serve with fingers of wholegrain toast when baby is accepting finger foods.