Tasty Tomato & Lentil Soup
Serves: 2 portions Cook time: 40 mins Prep time: 5 mins
Brighter futures start here
Discover more about infant development to help shape your baby's future
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 400g chopped tomatoes (1 tin)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 50g red lentils (split)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 100ml water
- 1 tsp basil (dried or fresh)
- In a large saucepan, heat a little oil and add the onion and garlic. Saute gently on a medium heat until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, lentils and water. Cook on medium heat stirring occasionally until it comes to the boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the basil and stir through.
- Remove from heat and blend to desired consistency.
- Allow to cool to appropriate temperature for baby, test and serve.
This is a great way to introduce tomatoes to baby and lentils are a good source of protein. Add more vegetables to alter flavour and add extra nutrients. Serve with fingers of toast when baby is accepting finger foods.
This recipe is high in protein which is needed for normal growth and development of bone in children.