Finger foods your baby will love
First finger foods to try.
The following are examples of healthy first finger foods that your baby will love:
- Softly cooked vegetables like carrot sticks, turnip, parsnip, butternut squash pieces
- Softly cooked pasta shapes
- Soft pieces of fruit like banana, peach or melon
- Stick of firm cheese like cheddar
Finger Foods for 6-9 Months
Other suitable finger foods from 6-9 months (once you have tried some of the softer options above)
- Buttered toast fingers
- Finger of toasted cheese on bread
- Raw sticks of cucumber
- Soft cooked florets of broccoli or cauliflower
- Strips of freshly cooked meat like beef or chicken
Finger Foods for 9-12 Months
Once your baby reaches stage 3 of weaning (9-12 months) you can offer them firmer and harder finger foods which will help develop their chewing skills even further. Some suitable foods at this stage are
- Unsalted crackers
- Unsalted rice cakes
- Small portion of plain scone
- Small pancakes
- Fruit slices – apple, orange, mango etc.
- Cubes/triangles.slices of firm cheese
- Cooked chunks of vegetables like sweet potato, carrot
It is important that you do not leave your baby alone when feeding.
If you’ve any other questions about this, or would like to talk to an expert about any food related questions you may have, do contact our careline.
Questions about feeding and nutrition?
Our nutritionists and feeding advisors are always on hand to talk about feeding your baby. So if you have a question, just get in touch.