Safe exercises during pregnancy
There are lots of benefits for exercising while pregnant such as feeling less fatigue, stronger back muscles which will help prevent back pain and strain as your bump gets bigger, gaining less body fat overall, and helping with sleep issues or insomnia you may have.
There are lots of types of exercises that you can do while pregnant. Healthcare professionals recommend swimming, walking, tai chi and pregnancy yoga classes. Prior to taking up any kind of physical activity, it is important that you consult your doctor to ensure it’s safe for both yourself and your unborn baby.
Here are a few do’s and don’ts for exercising while pregnant:
- Dress comfortably,
- Stay hydrated,
- Make sure to warm up and cool down,
- Listen to your body – if your body is screaming for a lie down rather than another yoga class, listen to that scream!
- Play contact sports or sports where you can fall, as these are too risky,
- Exercise on your back, as it reduces blood flow to your uterus and brain,
- Overdo it! Make sure you do not become overtired or overheated.
If you’ve any questions about pregnancy and how best to exercise, do speak with your doctor or midwife.