Cook time: 50 mins Prep time: 15 mins Serves: 1 loaf
- 250g plain flour
- 80g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5g bread soda (pinch)
- 80g low-fat spread
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C for fan oven).
- Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour, sugar, baking powder and bread soda into a large bowl.
- Rub in the low fat spread with your fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- On a plate, peel and mash the bananas with a fork.
- Beat the eggs together in a small bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add in the banana and egg.
- Beat with a fork, drawing in the mixture from the edges until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the bread tin and bake for 50 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Remove from oven, test that it is fully cooked by inserting a sharp knife or metal skewer, if it is clean when removed then the insides are cooked if not, return to oven for 5 more minutes.
This recipe makes for a delicious sweet treat. It is a source of vitamin B12 which contributes to normal red blood cell formation.