Homemade Chicken Fajitas
Cook time: 13 mins Prep time: 5 mins Serves: 2 people
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion (medium)
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 lime (halved)
- 1 tsp chilli power
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 flour tortillas (or whole wheat)
- 80g low fat cheddar cheese (optional, grated)
- Low fat sour cream (or natural yoghurt, to serve)
- Salsa (to serve )
- Prepare the peppers by halving, deseeding and cutting into long strips.
- Peel and chop the onion finely.
- Slice the chicken breast into strips or chunks.
- Preheat your pan with a drizzle of olive oil in it on a high heat.
- Put your peppers, onions and chicken in a bowl and mix through the chilli powder and cumin. Squeeze half of the lime over the mixture and pour in a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place aside and leave to marinate for 5 minutes.
- At this stage the pan should be quite hot, add in the mixture and cook for roughly 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Mix continuously while cooking to prevent burning.
- Warm up the tortillas in the microwave or oven.
- Divide the mixture between the tortillas and serve topped with cheese, sour cream and salsa.
This dish is high in vitamins B12, B6, thiamin and niacin, which work together to support a healthy nervous system for you and baby. It is also a source of zinc for production of baby's new cells and enzymes.
This is a really quick and easy dish to prepare for midweek dinners. You can try using beef instead of chicken or leaving out the meat altogether and adding extra vegetables. If you make extra, the leftovers make a tasty lunch the next day.