Healthier Homemade Pizza
Cook time: 16-20 mins Prep time: 2 hours Serves: 4 people
- 250g whole-wheat flour
- 180g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast (use pizza dough yeast)
- 350ml warm water
- 1 tin tomatoes (chopped, drained)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp chopped basil (fresh)
- 100g low fat mozzarella
- Add the warm water to a large bowl. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
- Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together
- Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour
- When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust.
- Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust.
- When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a greased circular baking tray.
- Spread the drained tomatoes over the dough and sprinkle the basil, chilli, cheese and any other topping you are using evenly over the dough.
- Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.
The wholegrain flour adds a great source of fibre which is important in pregnancy to help prevent constipation.
Choose your favourite healthy toppings and if you don’t have time to make your dough from scratch you can use some wholegrain tortilla wraps, flat breads or wholegrain pitta for your base.