Baby's Chili Con Carne
Serves: 6 portions Cook time: 45 mins Prep time: 10 mins
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 200g lean mince meat
- 1 onion (chopped finely)
- ½ green pepper (chopped finely)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 200g chopped tomatoes (tinned)
- 200g kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 200g chickpeas (tinned in water, drained)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- Rice (to serve)
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and cook the meat on a medium to high heat until browned.
- Add the onion, garlic and green pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Simmer on a medium heat for 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook a small portion of the rice as directed on pack.
- Purée or mash to desired consistency.
This is a great family meal for baby, toddler, older children and adults. Lean meat, beans and pulses are all good sources of iron. Be sure to remove baby’s potion before adding any salt or extra spice for yourself.