Even though this week counts as week 1 of pregnancy, you are not actually pregnant yet
This week counts as part of your 40 weeks of pregnancy, but you aren't officially pregnant until week 3 as conception occurs about two weeks after your period.
Your egg has left the ovary
You are now ovulating and your egg will begin to travel through the fallopian tubes.
Your baby's sex is already decided
Your egg has now been fertilised and the first steps in your baby's development have begun. Whether you are having a boy or a girl is now decided.
Your baby is called an embryo at this stage
Until around week 8 of pregnancy the medical term for your baby is an embryo. After this they will be referred to as a foetus.
Your baby will double in size by the end of the week
You may not feel like you are pregnant yet but that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot happening! Even at this early stage your baby is developing rapidly and the neural tube is already forming.
You may not feel like you are pregnant yet and this is very normal - but there is still lots going on. This week, cells are multiplying rapidly and taking on specific functions - some forming your baby, some the placenta and others the amniotic sac. Your baby will double in size by the end of the week from about 2mm to 4-5mm. Nerve growth also begins this week, forming your baby's neural tube which will later become their spinal cord and brain.
Even at this early stage of pregnancy, nutrition is already playing an important role in your baby's development and can even have an impact on their future health. Some experts believe that at most, 20% of a baby's future health is determined by their genes - the other 80% is determined by environmental factors, such as nutrition. Now is the time to start thinking about making some small changes to your lifestyle for the healthiest possible pregnancy. Start by following a healthy balanced diet, cut out smoking and alcohol and continue to take a 400ug folic acid supplement until 12 weeks.
Your baby's heart will soon start to beat
Already, your baby is receiving nutrition and oxygen through your placenta. This will continue to pass them nutrients from you and oxygen throughout the next 8 months.
Baby's lungs, liver and pancreas are all being formed
You may be feeling tired at the moment and it is no wonder with all that's going on inside you. Your body is getting used to lots of physical changes and your baby is growing rapidly.
Your baby's heart is beating twice as fast as yours
An adult's heart usually beats around 60 - 100 times per minute but your baby's is already beating 150 beats per minute - this will even increase further to 170 in a couple of weeks.
Your little future genius already has a functioning and rapidly growing brain!
Your baby's head will appear larger than their body as their brain grows rapidly now. When they are born, around 25% of their adult brain will already be formed. This will increase to about 80% by the time they are 3 years old.
Fingerprints are formed in the womb by your baby touching the environment around them
Your baby is reaching out and touching structures such as the cord and the uterus walls. The pressue of this on their tiny fingers will result in "friction ridges" which form fingerprints that last a lifetime!
for week by week pregnancy and baby development updates