Nappy changing can take a little practice to master. To help you on your way we have put together a little guide to help you get started.
Firstly, it is important to have all the supplies you’ll need within reach before you begin and to have safe, washable changing area.
What supplies do I need?
- Washable changing mat
- A clean nappy
- Wet wipes or cotton wool
- Nappy rash cream / barrier cream (if required)
- A nappy bag to dispose of dirty nappy
- A change of clothes in case of little accidents
For a step by step guide have a look at our Midwife in action in this video
How do I change my baby’s nappy?
- Open your baby’s clothes and pull them up so they don’t get soiled
- Undo the nappy and use the front of the nappy to clean excess poo
- Holding your baby’s ankles, gentle lift your baby’s bottom and remove the dirty nappy
- Dispose of nappy to the side in a nappy bag
- Using wet cotton wool or wet wipe, clean your baby’s bottom and front
- If required, apply nappy rash cream or barrier cream
- Hold your baby’s ankles together and lift their legs so that you can slide a clean nappy underneath their bottom
- Making sure the sticking tabs are at the back, fold the front piece through their legs and seal using sticking tabs
- Dress your baby and give them a little cuddle before discarding of the nappy bag.
Don’t forget, you can get in touch with our team if you’d like some more advice.