Eating your placenta, or afterbirth, is called placentophagy and while it is not a new idea, it’s been getting a lot of buzz lately.
It has become a growing trend among the famous and not-so famous. Eating the placenta is seen by many to be beneficial to the new mother’s health.
Some people believe that it can offer a number of benefits:
- Help to balance your hormones
- Replenish depleted iron levels
- Assist the uterus to return to its pre-pregnancy state
- Reduce post-natal bleeding
- Increase milk production
- Make for a happier, more enjoyable post-natal period
- Increase your energy levels
Celebrities that have tried it
1) January Jones
2) Alicia Silverstone
3) Mayim Bialik
4) Tia and Tamara Mowry
5) Kim Kardashian – although we are not certain if she went through with it, we do know that she expressed a great interest in its benefits and said she “definitely wanted to”
Many choose to eat it raw or cooked or another popular method is encapsulation. This is the process of steaming and dehydrating your placenta and then grinding it into a powder to place in capsules. These can be taken like a multivitamin tablet.
The benefits reported are the same as eating the placenta in its raw or cooked form. There are a number of encapsulation services around Ireland that can do this for you or you can order an encapsulation kit online and do it yourself!
We aren’t convinced yet if it is something we would ever try! What do you think?