National Breastfeeding Week 2015 runs from the 1st-7th October so we have put together 5 fascinating facts about breastmilk.
The WHO and the HSE both recommend exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months of life and to continue up to 2 years and beyond along with suitable solid foods. Breastfeeding is proven to contribute to a lifetime of good health and can affect your baby’s future health forever.
For 40 years, our dedicated research team has been studying the complex composition of breastmilk in an effort to understand the unique properties that provide so many health benefits.
Here are 5 fascinating facts that we have learned:
1. Up to 70% of breastmilk fat composition is determined by diet during pregnancy.
2. Your breastmilk composition is tailored specifically for your baby and will change from feed to feed and even during the same feed.
3. Mothers of boys will have 25% more energy in their milk.
4. A breastfed baby is exposed to more tastes early in life due to your varying diet.
5. During one feed, fat content will increase with the longer you feed.
For more information on National Breastfeeding Week and also a list of events going on around the country have a look here.
If you are breastfeeding or preparing to breastfeed at the minute have a read of some of our articles for some information and tips.