A healthy lunch, whether at home or in the creche, is an important meal for toddlers – a time to take a break from whatever is going on and sit down to chat and enjoy their food. Try to vary the lunchtime options and this will help to encourage your toddler to be adventurous and have a wide range of favourite foods in their diet.
Keep it simple. Think of the food pyramid and choose something from the bottom shelf for energy, some fruit or vegetables for vitamins and minerals, include some dairy food for calcium and lean meat or fish or beans for protein.
Sounds tricky? Well have a look at these suggestions below and see how easy it can be to make a healthy lunch for your toddler –
- Small ham and cheese sandwich with cherry tomatoes and cup of milk
- Baked sweet potato with tuna
- Baked beans on toast with small cubes of cheese
- Spanish Omelette cut into bite size pieces and cup of milk
- French toast with chopped fruit and a pot of yoghurt
- Leek and potato / carrot and lentil soup with small soft bread roll
- Macaroni cheese and carrot sticks
- Egg mayo sandwich with seedless grapes and cheese slices
- Pitta pocket with chopped lean meat or tuna filling and grated cucumber
- Chicken Cous cous and chopped fruit salad
- Pasta with chicken, cherry tomato and pesto and cup of milk
- Bolied egg with toast soldiers or poached egg on toast or veggie frittata and a mandarin orange
If you would like some more lunch ideas for your toddler, give our Careline a call.